- “Iu blong Fiji?” or “Are you from Fiji?”
- “Are there many islands in India?”
- “You are... Hindi (sic) or Muslim or Buddha?”
- “How do people like their betel nut in India?”
- “So… tell me about that lady Indira…”
- “How bad was the Union Carbide disaster?”
- “What kind of animals are in India?”
- “Tell me about elephants…”
- “Have you seen a tiger?”
- “I have heard of cobra snakes – how dangerous are they?”
- “How many languages in India? Is there an Indian pidgin?"
- “Why are Indian movies all 'love movies'?”
- “Does the caste system still exist?”
Bonus (applicable only to Brahmins): “What is that thread you are wearing?”
All these were questions I got many times over travelling all around the Western Province of the Solomon Islands from people who were highly educated to people who had never been to school. It’s fascinating to learn about the perceptions of people from a far-off land, especially about the place you come from.